SAISAC Shore Comp, Courtown , Feb 25th 2012, 4pm-9pm

2012-02-25 16.21.14a.jpg
People: JP,Keith, Al, JD, Ruairi, Lumpy, Dominator, Dan, Garrett, Gordy, Jay

Duration: 4pm-9pm

Tide: Low water was about 5:30 pm

Weather: Sunny, calm enough

Bait: Lud, wraps,maddies, sand eel, mack etc

Rigs: Flappers and clip downs


124 fish, Flounder, Whiting, Rockling, Dab, LSD, Bass

Place	Peg	Name		Fish	Total 	Ma Points
1	3	JP Molloy	17	344	30
2	5	Keith Murphy	15	303	29
3	11	Al McGrane	14	290	28
4	10	John Diamond	12	250	27
5	4	Ruari Coleman	12	227	26
6	1	Neil Burrell	12	223	25
7	7	Donal Domeney	10	181	24
8	8	Dan Prunty	10	175	23
9	6	Garrett Flynn	8	122	22
10	9	Gordy Hardman	8	120	21
11	2	Jay Fowler	6	77	20

Largest Round
22cm Rockling – Jp, Keith,JAY: Bass – John D

Largest Flat
29cm Flounder – John D

Well I woke up in Dublin to a lovely sunny day. There were just two problems with that:
1. I had meant to drive down to Wexford previous night
2. Bright, calm , end of February. Some fishing in daylight..YEAH!

I loaded up the taximobile (octavia) and 100 minutes or so later I was at Joe Carley’s house. Bait as ordered, A1, and then over to the folks. The dinner I was meant to have the previous night was popped in the microwave, lunch sorted, and I was good to go.

Back on the N11.

I arrived at Dodd’s rocks as a few lads were unloading their gear from their cars. They were having a small comp between themselves and were happy to stick to the north side of the beach, with us to the right of the entrance. I walked down to the beach to check it out finding dominator and Keith were already doing so. Donal sorted out the pegging (left to right) and Keith and I went back to the car park to sort out the check-in.

Preliminaries sorted, 11 of us were just about ready to go on the beach at 4pm. First cast for me was a flounder rig to about 40 metres or so. 20 minutes later I retrieved to find my bait untouched :cry: . Al had a double followed by a counting whiting. Second and third casts, still nothing for me. I went for a wee flounder walk, bumping into Joe Byrne on his own wee walk. Good to see him about, and some welcome advice for the conditions too.

When I got back to my rod I found the line had run up to the left! What the feck! 2 minutes later and a little Bass was in the bucket. An angry little Bass. Swimming around. With Joe looking after it. “Would you look at that. A Bass”. Another flapper out, fish measured, and a raincheck.

At ths stage Al had four fish, Jp had and Lumpy had similar and there were 2s and 3s spotted across the beach.

I picked up a flounder, then flounders and whiting. When it got dark I tried for a dog, getting a 29 cm flounder on the top hook (wrap and mack). Things went quiet for me, but after a while I picked up some under-size whiting. I decided to try for a LSD, picking one up on Maddi^H^H^H^ sand eel, with an undersize whiting on the top snood. My last cast was a disaster, I left the line slack and it broke pulling it through the gravel. :oops: :oops:

Anyway it was good to see new members, well done to JP on winning the first competition of the year and thanks to everybody who turned up.
More here 

Comments are closed.